Thursday, October 11, 2012

Guest Author Wendy Ely


One of the most common questions regarding being an author is: Where do you get your ideas for your books? The short, general answer is that I get my ideas everywhere. Life inspires me. Here is the secret about Jesse’s Brother:

In my mid-twenties I was dating two men. While out on a date with one, the other called me. Luckily for me, my date had gone to the bathroom when the other called. Shame on me, I answered the phone. “So what are you doing?” the other guy asked. Believing in being honest, I said, “I’m on a date. I can’t really talk right now.” I hung up the phone just as my date returned to our table. The next morning I received flowers from the guy I hadn’t been out with. The next time my date came over, he noticed the flowers from the other guy and had some sent the following day.

Let me tell you that both of them being really important people in my life. The guy I had been on the actual date with kind of fizzled away while the other one became my best friend. Our friendship lasted years.

During the time I was dating them, I started thinking, “what if…” One thought led to another and Jesse’s Brother was written. No, neither character in Jesse’s Brother was based on the guys. The characters just morphed from my brain. I only took something that was happening to me in real life and twisted it around to make some great fiction!

Jesse’s Brother is free on Kindle from October 11th through October 15th. Want a copy? Grab one. I’d also like to hear what you think of the book. http://amzn.com/B009NWWW6G

If you’d like a paperback copy: http://amzn.com/1468069047

Here is where you can find me:

Amazon Author page: http://amzn.com/e/B008SA6TJK
Email: authorwendyely@gmail.com

Blurb: *Reader's Choice award winner!

One woman, two men: a single summer to choose between them. Sacrificing a summer to fix her relationship with her mother and find out what’s troubling her father isn’t so bad...right? Wrong. Or so Samantha learns upon her return to Portland. As if family drama wasn’t bad enough, first comes Noah. Then comes Jesse. Samantha is torn between the way her heart skips a beat each time Noah looks at her, and the way Jesse’s touch make her yearn for more.

Will Samantha be able to choose between the men before their secret crushes her?

Excerpt:

After walking out of his family’s life, he’d avoided relationships of any kind. He’d loosened up a bit, working on the ranch. Martin had become a role model to him, but Noah didn’t want to care about anyone else. Not even Samantha. Now he knew her story and wanted to be in her life. It was terrible to be totally alone and Samantha didn’t deserve to be.

“Damn it!” He threw a bale of hay onto the barn floor. “Why did she have to come here?”

Frances, Samantha’s mother, had shown up in the barn a few days before to give him a subtle warning to stay away from her daughter. He didn’t pay any mind to the idea of Samantha being around the farm and hadn’t even asked any questions about her. He’d shrugged and turned back to his work. He was surprised she hadn’t been more like queen bee Frances, ready to sting anyone within arm’s length. Even though he’d heard stories about her childhood from Martin, he’d never once fathomed the idea that Samantha Johns would indeed be beautiful with those freckled cheeks and dimples. And the added bonus? She was equally sweet.

Samantha’s presence could become a complication in his well maintained life. He didn’t need any extra hurdles. Lord knew he’d had enough of those along the way. Getting involved with someone was complicated enough, but with the boss’s daughter? Probably not a good idea. The fact that Frances hated the very air he breathed made the situation worse.

“I never take the easy road,” he grumbled as he wiped the sweat trickling down his cheek.

What was Samantha doing now? His eyes switched over to the door. It would be nice if she’d come down to the barn.

No comments: